December 11, 2008

Being Merry

Our friend, worship pastor, and Hannah's piano teacher is also the director for Sonoma County Chamber Singers, thus we have been making every effort to attend his concerts. Last Friday night was a grand kick-off for December. Starting with a processional of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel," this musical feast contained several Latin pieces, the "Ave Maria," a beautiful rendition of the "Magnificat," and some rousing pieces about "Good Ale" and "Figgy Pudding." But the lyrics that caught my heart were from "A Virgin Unspotted" by the early American composer, William Billings.
"Then let us be merry, put sorrow away
Our Savior, Christ Jesus, was born on this day."

These days are a fight for joy, a continual conversation with myself reminding me of the glorious God and His grace all around me. It's learning to take delight in every moment, knowing that moment was part of God's bigger design for my life, whether it is
  • the sight of stark black limbs and bright orange fruit of a persimmon tree against a foggy morning walk
  • the sound of bickering brothers
  • the smell of cinnamon and cloves and yeasty yummies baking
  • the comforting touch of a hug
  • the heartache of facing a sin that I've forgotten is no longer my master

Being merry occurs when I choose, by God's grace, to take each moment as a gift, knowing Christ was the ultimate gift, living the life I couldn't, dying a death I won't need to, and conquering sin and offering me free salvation.

Today, I will put sorrow away.


No comments: